MHI – Q: How can I get Medicare to talk to me about Mom’s plan?

Posted by MedEd at MHI
A: You’ll need a permission slip from your mother if you want Medicare to talk to you about her plan.
Actually, it’s not exactly a permission slip. It’s CMS Form 10106, otherwise known as an “Authorization to Disclose Personal Health Information”.

Medicare is not allowed to share personal health information about anyone without their written permission. That includes sons and daughters.

You can either download the form from the Internet or access it through your personal account. Mom will have an opportunity to indicate just how much information will be made available to you. She’ll be able to select any or all of the following types of information:
  • Medicare eligibility
  • Medicare claims
  • Plan Enrollment
  • Premium payments
She’ll also determine how long you have access to her personal health information by selecting specific “from and to” dates or “indefinitely”. You or your mom will need to fill in your name and address. Lastly, Mom must fill in her telephone number and sign and date the form.

Mail the completed form to Medicare COO, Written Authorization Dept., POB 1270, Lawrence, KS  66044.

To save yourself time and aggravation, fill this out this form sooner rather than later. The last thing you need to deal with in a time of crisis is not being able to access the information you need.

Still undecided on which plan suits your needs?

Click to compare benefits.

Are you ready to start saving money with MHI?

Click here to start saving money with MHI!

Why purchase a Medicare Supplement plan?

Learn more about purchasing a medicare supplement plan here!
  • Insured by Members Health Insurance Company, Columbia, TN.
  • Not connected with or endorsed by the U.S. or state government.
  • This is a solicitation of insurance. A representative of Members Health Insurance Company may contact you.
  • Benefits not provided for expenses incurred while coverage under the group policy/certificate is not in force, expenses payable by Medicare, non- Medicare eligible expenses or any Medicare deductible or copayment/coinsurance or other expenses not covered under the group policy/certificate.